Skip to Main Content

Research Guides

Eastern Washington University Libraries

Library Services for MSW Distance Programs

This guide is designed for EWU Master of Social Work Programs at distance education sites (Vancouver, Everett, etc.).

Access EWU Library Databases to find Articles?

The EWU databases may be accessed from any computer connected to the Internet, with your NetID username and password. (This username/password is the same one that you used to initially set up your EWU email account.)

If you have not created your password, go to See Accounts and Passwords for more information. For questions about your EWU ID number, contact the IT Help Desk.


Arrange Library Instruction for my Students?

To advance the educational goals of information literacy and critical thinking, the EWU Libraries offer online tutorials, class and subject guides or virtual library instruction to distance students in all programs. To integrate library instruction into your curriculum, please contact:

Library instruction rooms available at distance sites:

  • If you need to arrange to use the Clark College library instruction classroom for a library session, then contact Zachary Grant [360-992-2971].
  • To find out what rooms are available for library instruction at Everett Community College, please call the E.C.C. Library Reference Desk [425-388-9354].

Try to schedule at least one month in advance for a face-to-face library instruction session.  If you have a research-related student assignment, then please provide your librarian a copy of it to help with session preparation.

Contact EWU Libraries?

Contact the Learning Commons?

Find Open Educational Resources (OER)

Reserve Materials for my Students?

I'm an instructor, what do I need to know about placing items on course reserve?

Instructors may submit their personal, department-owned items, or request items from the library's collection to be placed in the course reserves collection.

What kind of items are kept on course reserve?  High demand items that are essential or required for various classes and are not available in an online (electronic) format.

Who do I contact for help with physical course reserves? 

Clark College (Vancouver): Stop by the Check-out Desk in the Cannell Library or call (360) 992-2151.

Everett Community College: Circulation Desk (425) 388-9353

What if I have an online copy of an article that I want to have my students read in Canvas?  While Canvas makes it easy to put up articles you have saved or scanned, doing so may violate copyright. But you can link to the article in Canvas and stay in compliance. Here's how you do it:

  • If the article is full text in one of the library databases (i.e. Academic Search Complete or JSTOR), then find the stable or persistent (EBSCO calls it a Permalink) URL.  For the article to be accessible from off-campus, it must go through our proxy server.  Therefore the URL for our proxy server [] must go in front of the persistent URL of the article.  For more detailed information, see the Help sheet on linking to library articles or contact the JFK reference desk [(509) 359-2263] for help.

Need more help?  Contact EWU Online Learning: (509) 359-7380 []

Watch Documentaries Online